Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hope your Saturday was better than mine...

I had an interesting Saturday! Earl and I spent most of the day cleaning the basement,or rather, I cleaned the basement while he cleaned the duct work. Yikes! You see, we got an estimate for having someone else clean the duct work and they wanted $500, so being the frugal do-it-yourself types we decided we could do it ourselves. Sometimes I hate being a do-it-yourself kind of person, it means a lot of dirty work and blowing perfectly lovely Saturdays in the bowels of your home! Anyway, we got that done and Earl wanted to bake a couple cheesecakes as pastor appreciation gifts so I ran to the shopping center with my youngest daughter, Victoria, to get some cake boxes. As we are leaving, with Vicky driving, some lady comes out of a side drive and T-bones the van! Poor Victoria, who is on her level one permit was very upset, because as a student driver I am sure she thought it was her fault and that she would get in trouble. I told her it wasn't her fault in any way but with the police coming I think she was still nervous about what they would say! Well we got the nicest female officer who walked her through the whole process, assured her it was not her fault and that these things happen and people make mistakes. Everyone involved was fine but the woman who hit us hit the front passenger side tire and axle on the van so it was undrivable and had to be towed. We have full coverage and I think the other drivers insurance might pick up our deductible. I was able to keep my cool through the whole thing and didn't even get angry with the woman who hit us. Earl came and got us, and the funny thing was, he had already picked up some cake boxes a couple days before and hadn't mentioned it to me so we really didn't even need to have gone on that errand! A friend will lend us his car until ours is fixed (he works at a dealership so he can use one of their vehicles) so it wasn't the end of the world or anything. I am looking forward to doing absolutely nothing today after church though! And how was your weekend?

17 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were up at 6:30 this morning. Don't you know you were supposed to take advantage of the extra hour of sleep? Silly ;) But i still love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ALMOST happened to me friday leaving the school parking lot! Glad you guys are alright. That must have been so scary for your daughter! How'd you guys clean your own air ducts? Very D.I.Y!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, LOL, great post! Don't you hate that! Our weekend was spent mopping up inside and oustide the house after a nasty storm. It rained in our kitchen!!!! Hope you had a have a relaxing Sunday :) Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry...I did alot of cleaning also,but I don't think it was near what you did.Hope the van things works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I'm glad to hear that everything worked out.

    That cleaning of the duct work is a job well done!

    I love the name "Victoria." Wish that my dad had had the good sense to leave it alone when my mother gave me that name, but he went and changed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are okay. The appetizers do look delish!
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you and Victoria are OK. What a scary experience. ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy~ I'm glad you guys are all okay. What an eventful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, too bad! My youngest daughter just got her license and I am always worried for her!

    We are also trying to get stuff done this weekend. We have a list a mile long of things we should hire people to do, but like you we get an estimate and gasp! $500 for this, $600 for that, $350 for the other and pretty soon you are getting up on $2000 for your fall home maintenance. Makes me want to live in a condo with a maintenance service. I don't want to spend the money or the time to do it all so we are doomed!

    Well, back to hanging stuff on our walls, that is cheaper and way more satisfying than duct cleaning, I'm sure! I've got some chili and cornbread cooking and I think I'll make some hot cider!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy! Thank goodness you both are fine....Your sweet daughter, must have been so upset, but how wonderful that you had a great police officer handling the situation...Your friend sounds like a great person too..
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww. I hate that for your daughter - and you! And the lady who hit you. What a nuisance. But I know you're thankful it wasn't any worse that it was.

    You know we're the same type of do-it-yourselfers and I feel the same as you. When I think of the fun things I could be doing instead of some dirty work around here.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankfully, my weekend was not nearly as eventful as yours. Poor Victoria, how unnerving. Glad no one was injured. Hope your Sunday was peaceful.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Quite a weekend! I'm so glad you are both okay.

    Kathy I love the pictures of your "little corners" :) I really like the chalkboard paint idea.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog even though I have pretty much been MIA! I miss you guys!

    *muah*
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a weekend! Glad everyone is okay!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy, us again! Just popping by to let you know you nudged someone out! lol Because of double comments left on our blog, you have drawn a horse in our Sweep/Giveaway, it's horse number 19 and it's name is Douro Valley. Good luck!! Jenn and Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathy, getting so excited over here, forgot to say Iceberg roses are fabulous, they bloom for so long, all blousey and pretty. There a pink iceberg here in Australia now, the white is sort of tinged pink, do you have that one as well? And thank you for your lovely comments on our post, Jacqui loves makeing these crations and I think she is very clever and creative! Have a great day! J & J

    ReplyDelete
  17. How scary for your daughter! My daughter will be getting her learner's permit in a few weeks, and I'm already getting a little nervous...

    Hope you had a restful Sunday!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)