Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Heart Banner Tutorial



Better late than never right?  I promised this to you by the end of last week and then just couldn't get it done.  Ah well, onward and upward.  This is such an easy little banner you will no doubt be saying "I could have figured that out on my own" nevertheless, here is a step by step.

1. You will need three pieces of fabric for each heart. I used  one  4" square scraps of  quilting fabric, a leftover scrap of eyelet and one 4" square of light cotton batting for the middle. The batting gives the shape some body.  You will also need 1/2" wide bias tape.  You can make the back the same fabric as the front, use a plain white if it won't show or do a different print. Use what you have! This is a great way to use your scraps.
2. Cut out a heart shape, or any shape you want to make for your banner. This technique will work for almost anything. Flowers, (like the ones I did for my office below!), hearts, maybe pumpkins for fall or apples for the beginning of school? 
3. I made a heart shape pattern on card stock so I could just trace around the pattern and all my hearts would be the same size. It is about 3 1/2" tall. Trace around the shape with a fine point disappearing marker. You can also just use a pencil to mark the back piece of fabric where it won't show. I am not left handed, this is my simulation of tracing the heart while I juggle a camera. I looks a little wonky, but you get the idea :)

 4. Stack your fabrics with the two quilting fabrics right side out with the batting sandwiched between them.  I don't even bother to pin them all together. The batting does a pretty good job of keeping the fabrics from slipping, but if you have a problem go ahead and pin. Then line up the outline of the heart with your needle and start sewing the three layers together.
 I like to use the decorative stitches on my machine for this. I think it just adds another layer of detail and it's fun to use them since I seldom get a chance in my regular sewing.  If you would rather, or you find it easier, go ahead and use a straight stitch, it's totally up to you.  This is how it looks sewn together.  Now trim off the hanging threads.....
 And 5. trim around the heart.   I like to use my pinking shears because it gives a pretty edge and keeps the edges from fraying.
  I like to use 1/2 inch wide  bias tape for my banner. It usually comes in a 3 yard length, You can cut it to any length you want.  I cut mine in half so my banner is 54" long. 
 6. Find the center of your tape and center a heart on it.  I usually make an odd number of hearts so I can straddle that center with the rounded parts of the heart. I also just like how odd numbered items look.  Pin the hear to the tape and then pin the rest of your hearts evenly on each side. I always just eyeball it, but if you want to measure, you can.
 7.  Now just sew a straight line across the part of the heart that is on the tape.  I usually use white thread because I find it is hardly noticeable with the bright colors I use.
 And you're done! I'm keeping this patriotic banner because July 4th is right around the corner, But I have a few multicolor banners in the shop if anyone wants one.  This is a fun little project and so easy to personalize. 
 I'll be back soon, (I promise!) with some more frugal wedding decorating tips:>)  Have a great week!




18 comments:

  1. So cute Kathy!! I just Pinned this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks easy enough to make..now to find the time and cute material...Thanks for sharing.
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! It looks so cute and easy that I'm going to make one soon, maybe today! I really like the posies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am going to be here awhile....don't mind me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So darling - I just might have to make some, too. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your banner! Thank you for sharing the tutorial. Now, if only I can find some time to make one! I'd love to have one or more for my little vintage trailer - inside and out. What fun this could be through the seasons.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! I'll definitely be making a few. Thanks for the tutorial. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! So very cute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've popped over from Vee's blog and I am soo glad I did. This banner is adorable and honestly I'd sit down and make one today if I had a pair of pinking shears [goodness knows I have plenty of scraps] which alas I do not....they are on the top of my list however. And that would be in spite of the fact my project pile is quite high right now, lol. Soo glad I've discovered your blog, I WILL be back for sure! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply said, you make the best cute stuff! And this is why I want a craft studio. I would love to do little sewing projects and crafts! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so stinkin' cute! Thanks for the tutorial, Kathy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so stinkin' cute! Thanks for the tutorial, Kathy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable i need to get this sewing machine together someone gave it to me but i havent had the time to really see if it even works terrible this looks lovely and fun love it w/l Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for your tutorial. I have been asked to do some 'Just married' bunting for my son and future daughter-in-law's wedding. They want it to run across the back of their bicycles as they cycle away from the reception. Now I've seen this, I will do hearts not triangles. It looks lovely and each heart is much easier to make than the usual turning-through way. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful project!!!! Thanks a lot for taking your time for the tutorial. Great idea to use the sewing machine stitches!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I was inspired by your post to make an Easter Egg one :) https://www.thenightlifeofascientist.com/2019/04/easy-sew-easter-egg-bunting-banner.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to say hello :)